Saturday, October 25, 2008

Making the Grade

When I was a little girl, I always knew I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up. I taught elementary school for 6 years, and am now working hard at my new job...mommy. While I was teaching, I met so many great people and formed many great friendships. When you spend 40 or more hours per week with cohorts in the same place and share in similar, yet quirky experiences, you are bound to make some great memories. Right, Amy? (Think tattle box and Ebony). My friend Robin and I taught together for 3 years at my first job, and this past year she moved to the school that I am currently taking a leave of absence from. We have kept in touch, and made some memories at our favorite meeting spot, Starbucks. Robin is one of those God sent friendships. She is absolutely precious and a strong woman of faith. She is in the process of adopting a sweet baby boy right now, and we can't wait to meet him. We have seen pics of this little guy, and he is beautiful. I know she is going to be the best mommy to him. She has been really busy with all of her adoption paperwork lately, and I offered to help her out with her class report cards Thursday night. She felt she was going to have to pull an "allnighter" otherwise. My job was to average her grades. The teacher in me felt so empowered calculating numbers with my ink pen for that final average! She showed up around 7:00 with pizza in hand, as well as a pink Hello Kitty calculator for me to compute with. She is a woman after my own heart! I averaged the grades, and we talked and laughed and had as much fun you can have averaging grades. Our night was complete when Blake arrived home from work around 10 with 2 pumpkin spice lattes in hand.





1 comment:

Claire said...

I can totally relate. As a teacher there is just something about pens, calculators, grade books, ugh! It just makes you feel good. I am so happy for you and Robin.