Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mine, Not Yours

Our little guy, Jackson, continues to teach me more about life, each and every day. His baby days are slipping by (too fast), and he is quickly approaching full blown toddlerhood. With that comes lots and lots of Jackson craving independence, and him staking out his territory on pretty much everything. He wants to do everything himself. He says, "My turn." "Jackson do it, Mommy." His latest saying is, "Mine, not yours." This is typically while he is snatching something out of my hand, off the floor, out of his diaper bag. Everyone probably knows the behavior I am talking about. The other day I was playing Hot Wheel cars with Jackson, and he grabbed the car out of my hand, and said "Mine, not yours." I thought to myself, you little turkey. Then, I started thinking about my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I wonder how many times in my life, I hold onto things....doubt, fear, anxiety, and hold onto matters I have no control over. Sure, I will pray about matters and lay situations at His feet....and pick them right back up again, almost like I am saying, "Lord, that is mine, not Yours." God desires for me to be totally dependent on Him, and for me to say, "I am Yours." He really wants to have my worries, anxiety, my family, and my future. I really do want to give Him everything..... Everything is His, not mine! So, that is my prayer.

"My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart." Psalm 7:10

"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him. Psalm 18:30

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thankgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true! God wants us to be child-like. And as David Binion says on their latest cd, "We should child-like, not childish." Children don't worry about the future are carefree. God does want us to give it all to Him. But I too am so very guilty of holding on to it. I've been thinking about the song "What a Friend we have in Jesus" and the line... "Oh what peace we often forfeit, oh what needless pain we bear... all because we do not carry everthing to God in prayer!" Anyway, I'm rambling... Thanks for sharing!

On the Ride of Our Lives said...

oooohhh that's good. I love how our children teach us about our Father constantly. I know I keep snatching things back out of His hand constantly. Thanks for sharing an invaluable lesson learned.