Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Made my Day!

Most people know that I was a teacher before I had Jackson, and went back to the classroom and taught some last year. All in all, I taught elementary school for about 8 years. The last 4 years, I taught 2nd grade for three years, and had a short tenure in 4th grade last Spring, at a school that is really close to my house. Prior to that expereince, I taught 3 years of third grade in a school downtown. My first year of teaching was quite an experience. Here are the variables that I feel made it a bit more interesting, and perhaps, more challenging than most:

  • I was hired when I was 21, and began a full time teaching job shortly after my 22nd birthday. I just looked like a pushover. But, they learned quickly I am not.
  • I started teaching in a brand new school with a brand new faculty.
  • I started my school year with no materials. No math book. No reading book. All I had were desks and chairs.
  • Oh, and my other 3rd grade cohort was a brand new teacher, too. Needless to say, we became best buds, fast.
  • I had no idea what in the world I had gotten myself into.
  • That classrooom of students had some behavior issues that I had no idea how to even begin to deal with.

Anyway, long story short, all of those things in the long run (after many tears, and not wanting to go to work for the first 180 days of my career), probably made me a better teacher. I also taught some really special kids, and I often wonder how they are doing (especially the kids I had the first year, bless their hearts!)

Sunday night, Blake had some paperwork laying on the table from work, and I, being the nosy person I am, started looking through it, and found a sibling's name of one of my favorite students I taught downtown. I mentioned to Blake that I taught such and such's sister, and talked about how my I loved this particular student.

Blake mentioned to the sibling that I asked about her sister, and today the former student (who is probably a sophomore in high school) wrote me a letter that simply made my day!

Here is the letter:

Hey Mrs. Ricks/Freeman!

I am sooo glad to hear from you again after all these years. I actually thought that you had forgot about me for a minute, but I guess not. When I heard you asked about me, I was very happy to know that you still remember me. I found out that you are still a teacher. Where do you teach now? And what grade do you teach? I miss you sooo much! You were my favorite teacher, not only because you made me laugh, but because you taught me alot even though I gave you some hard times during my third grade year, and I thank you for that.

P.S. Well, write back PLEASE to let me know how you are doing and what you think about the letter!

Love,

Student (I don't want to give away her identity!)

Some days when I taught, I remember thinking the ceiling tiles were the only things listening to me, and it is nice to know that maybe they were listening (and watching) more than I thought!

2 comments:

V-n-J said...

that would have made my day too! you probably have many more of those kind of letters waiting to be sent to you:)

Claire said...

How sweet. Definitely a keeper for a 'Blue Monday' folder. It just goes to show that you never know the impact you have on kids in the classroom.