Friday, December 18, 2009

Seriously?

Okay, okay. I am normally not the ranting type, but this week, two very odd things have happened in the land of motherhood. My reaction time was a bit delayed on both, and maybe next time I will be a bit better prepared.

Situation #1:
On Tuesday, I met Melissa and Abby, at Chik fil A. After a nice lunch, we headed down the mall play area. The novelty of the play area seems to be wearing off for Jackson since he has discovered the "transportation area" to the left of the play area (the cars, trucks, etc. that you pay to ride, but Jackson doesn't know that they really move, area). Anyway, Melissa and Abby continued to play in the play area while Jackson was climbing and playing around on the cars. I noticed a lady and possibly, 2-3 year old twins were doing the same thing. After a few minutes, the lady looks at me and says, "Hey, I am going to run my packages out to the car. I will be back in a few minutes." And off she goes down the mall. What in the world? Who does that? I yell across the mall to Melissa, and explain the ordeal. She is cracking up, and then says, "Oh my, what if she doesn't come back?" Wow. Didn't even think about that. I was seriously, speechless and thoughtless! What am I supposed to do? Sure enough, a few minutes later, this mother/grandmother/or relative yanks the two kids up by the arm, and starts walking out to the car, and looks at me and says, "Oh, thanks!"

Situation #2:
Now this just made me mad! Today, I was strolling through Target, and some random lady walks up to my cart, as if she were inspecting the contents of it. Hmmm, Huggies and Zip Loc bags, not too exciting. She then looks at me, and in her teacher voice, says, "I really wish you would use the strap on the seat, and buckle your baby up." I think to myself, I really wish you just would shut up and leave me alone. I know, that is not very nice. She rambles on about this story, about how her daughter in law didn't use the straps, and her grandson fell out, and hit his head, and got a concussion, and how she wishes I would just use the straps. Are you kidding me? I just came to buy diapers, lady. I mean, I am really sorry that happened to your grandson, but are you now on the safety board for cart patrol at Target? I may not be Mother of the Year, but I don't think I am totally inept, either. I have seen parents do some pretty crazy stuff to their children, but I don't really feel like it is my place to tell them what to do with their baby, I mean, its not like I left Jackson with a stranger in the mall play area so I could take packages out to my car! So, all you idiot mommies out there that don't use the safety straps , buckle those babies up!

Has this crazy stuff happened to anyone else?

4 comments:

On the Ride of Our Lives said...

No it's never happened to me or anything remotelythat crazy. Wow. You must have something about you that says, I care. I have been desperate before and wanted to ask a stranger to help, but would NEVER actually do it. And I have never used the straps on a shopping cart. I guess I need to be on the look out for that overly zealous grandma.

Claire said...

I am in shock on the first one. Totally dumbfounded. You should've taught her a lesson and marched her kids down to the mall office and waited to see her reaction. Or handed them off to the lovely ladies at Sea-cret!

I have to say the second one doesn't surprise me. I've been astounded at the things strangers stick their noses into when you're out with children. My favorite (when I have all three) is 'bless your heart, you have your hands full.' UGH! What business is it of anyone's how many kids I have and how close they are in age for that matter. It's like telling a stranger he/she is fat or ugly....you just don't say some things to people.

Tis the season!

Anonymous said...

Everybody totally wants to comment on Lainey's ears being pierced, and it is none of their dang business!!! They let me know that they think I am an abusive neglectful mother!

Anonymous said...

Wow. People just amaze me. I can not believe someone left their children with a stranger. That is just crazy.